The CAD Operator/Marine Designer is responsible for developing complex designs for existing and conceptualized ships, systems and associated equipment, including feasibility evaluations and design compliance assessments with applicable regulatory, class society and customer requirements. Prepares and revises plans and drawings using design software for marine vessel construction and modification projects and customer proposals.
Scope Of Duties And Responsibilities
The duties of the CAD Operator/Marine Designer shall include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Uses AutoCAD™, Rhino™, and other software tools for ship design work, including 3D Modeling, in support of commercial proposals and project modifications to existing fleet vessels using established Company standards and guidelines. Drawings include but are not limited to structural, mechanical, arrangements, lines plans, piping and electrical diagrams. The Marine Designer shall also perform weight and center of gravity material take‐off calculations.
- Develops complex designs and associated technical documentation for current and conceptualized ships, systems and equipment. Prepares plans and drawings using design software. Evaluates designs and design concepts for feasibility.
- Confers with engineering and operations personnel to establish optimal arrangement of equipment and propulsion machinery, heating and ventilating systems, refrigeration equipment, electrical components, piping, cargo systems and other functional equipment.
- Assesses design compliance with regulatory, company and customer standards, as well as classification society rules. In addition, designs are reviewed to ensure compliance with safety and ergonomic standards.
- Interfaces with suppliers, vendors/contractors and cross functional teams to ensure necessary resources are feasible and available for ship/system.
- Researches new technology and/or development tools to remain informed of current technology and best practices for lowest life cycle cost design standards for ships in a marine environment.
- Completes technical documentation, specification development and project reporting as directed in support of ship design, modification and commercial proposal development activities.
- Establishes and implements CAD standards for all technical drawings.
- Protects the Company. Meets corporate regulatory, safety, environmental and configuration management compliance objectives. Ensures strict confidentiality of all Company information; does not disclose any information outside the Company without prior approval at the Director level or above.
- Responsible for New Construction and Capital Project Data Administration. Follows filing system processes for all technical files and drawings related to new construction and modifications to existing vessel fleet as well as tasks created as a result of inter-Company departmental requests.
- All other duties as assigned by management.