Job Role and Responsibilities
Chevron USA - Marine is accepting online applications for the position of Able Seaman located on one of their US Flag fleet of vessels.
The Sailors’ Union of the Pacific represents all unlicensed personnel employed on the Company’s US Flag seagoing vessels.
You must hold a current USCG Merchant Mariner Credentials, STCW 95 endorsements, valid USCG/STCW medical certificate, valid passport, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and Tankerman Assist or Tankerman Dangerous Liquid
The general guideline for vessel assignment length is 90 days for unlicensed personnel. Vacation will accrue at 25 days for each 30 days of work.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Performs “Helmsman” duties as required receiving direct verbal orders on steering directions or courses from the Deck Watch Officer, Master, Pilot or Mooring Master and manually manipulating the vessel’s wheel.
- Stands at sea “Lookout” watches as required.
- Stands “Hose” and “Gangway” watch while in port ensuring that hose pressures do not exceed authorized allowances and that no leakage occurs during the transfer of cargo; keeps a continuous lookout to prevent unauthorized personnel from boarding the vessel and ensures that the gangway is always properly rigged.
- Stands cargo watch communicating gauge tape readings to watch officer and assist with turning of cargo valves.
- Assists the Deck Officer on watch during loading and discharging operations, performing all functions and other such duties that may arise.
- Performs maintenance and other seaman’s duties required on deck, under the direction of the Bosun or Chief Mate.
- Active and positive participant in monthly safety meeting.
- Points out unsafe acts or conditions to everyone on board.
- Stops work if unsafe conditions or practices are uncovered.
- Able to participate in an Emergency Response team.
Teamwork/Working With Others
- Effective in relating to others
- Willing to assist others.
- Works well under pressure.
- Maintains an appropriate demeanor and appearance.
Pre-employment Screening Consists Of
- DOT drug testing & Non-DOT hair drug test
- Background check
- Physical Fitness for Duty examination
- Functional capacity evaluation