The Chief Engineer will ensure that all machinery on board the vessels is maintained in good working order at all times and to operate the machinery during operations as and when required.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. To carry out operational services to ships in a safe and responsible manner.
2. Be responsible for the safe operation of the vessels and engines, generators and associated machinery and equipment.
3. To ensure that all machinery (deck and engine) is maintained to operational standards at all times.
4. To take responsibility for ownership of the vessels machinery spaces, keeping the engine room and area clean and tidy and free of hazards at all times.
5. Report to the Master and Superintendent Engineer any breakdowns or faults with the vessels. Liaising closely with the Superintendent at all times to arrange repairs either internally or with external contractors.
6. Carry out routine maintenance and repairs as and when required, and to take responsibility for ensuring that the Planned Maintenance System is carried out onboard vessels.
7. Ensure that the vessels have sufficient lube oils and bunkers to carry out operations at all times.
8. Following statutory and regulatory guidelines as laid down by the Company, MCA and other external bodies, keep all paperwork accurate and up to date.
9. To supervise and train all other engineering staff under their control.
10. To work with the Superintendent Engineer in drawing up specification documents for dry-docking and surveys. To co-ordinate dry dockings and surveys to ensure all work is completed in a timely and orderly fashion.
11. To advise the Master on any defects that could affect the safe operation of the vessels, to maintain a log of all defects and to liaise with the Superintendent in prioritising and rectification.
12. To take ownership of all areas of the vessels and to undertake Engineer’s responsibilities as required.
13. To carry out duties in a professional, responsible and adaptable manner, with flexibility of operation as required to fulfil manning and vessel operational requirements.
14. To undertake mandatory training, as required, both for Company requirements and for individual continued professional development.
15. Any other duties as reasonably assigned by the Company from time to time, in a flexible, adaptable and responsive manner.
• All Certificates (STCW,Medical etc) to be valid.
• Ability to thoroughly analyse all engineering situations & to submit detailed and accurate written and oral reports.
• Fault diagnosis and rectification for all the major machinery on board vessels
• Ability to manage a team and allocate responsibilities
• Strong administrative/computer skills.
• Strong communication skills
Arabian Persian Gulf