Chief Operating Officer - Terminal
About the job
Chief Operating Officer - Terminal Job In Lagos, Nigeria
CMA Terminals will open and operate in Nigeria a state-of-the-art container terminal in Lekki located 80 Kms East from Lagos.
The Phase 1a/1b of the project will include 680 m of berth, 5 (+2) STS cranes, 15 (+6) RTGs and an OCR gate complex for a capacity of 1.2 million TEU’s in order to offer an innovative, efficient, and reliable alternatives to shipping lines and local stakeholders.
CMA Terminals is looking for an experienced and well qualified Chief Operating Officer who is ready to take the responsibility to lead:
- the Ops & IT project team during the pre-ops phase prior terminal opening
- the Ops & IT department to ensure highest terminal performance within a safe working environment
As a strategic Officer within the organization, the COO leads the operation department to ensure terminal services are rendered to terminal’s customers and shareholders through the highest, safest & most cost-efficient manner.
As COO, you are member of the Terminal Steering Committee and you report directly to the CEO.
> Pre-ops phase:
COO is responsible to organize and all pre-ops tasks to be executed to ensure Operator readiness at the time of the commencement date which includes but are not limited to:
- Lead & build all recruitment program for Ops Managers, planning and execution staffs, interview and selection processes
- Lead & build creation all training programs for all operation staffs
- Lead & build redaction of all SOPs, JDs, working procedures, all required interfaces with other departments (finances, technical, …)
- Participate, in coordination with HSSE dpt, to the creation and the good application of the HSSE policies
- Successfully deploy, set up and test all software and hardware (TOS, OCR gate complexes, network, CCTV...)
- Meet and build with all local stakeholders (Customs, local authorities, shipping lines, forwarders, trucking companies...) constructive relationship to ensure smooth start for both inland and maritime operations
- Identify Ops & IT needs, prepare tender & negotiate agreement with the CEO whenever is required specific outsourced services
- Any other operational tasks required on site to ensure that the Terminal will open at the defined date and ready to offer the best performance.
> Operating phase:
From the opening date, the COO is in charge to lead, supervise and guide all operational activities on the Terminal in respect of the goals and budget defined with the CEO and CMAT.
Main responsibilities are:
- Defining, reevaluating and implementing best operational strategies (berthing, yard, resources, etc…)
- Ensuring performant and cost-efficient operation by optimizing resources utilization & planning
- Leading, guiding and supporting his 3 key direct Managers (IT, Planning & Execution Manager)
- Leading IT team to guarantee IT services are rendered as per terminal standards
- Implementing a Continuous Improvement Program in all fields of operations to promote a constant improvement & ownership mindset among the workforce
- Checking the correct implementation and execution of all operational procedures
- Ensuring a safe working environment by a strict compliance with HSSE policies
- Setting and monitoring terminal performances and initiating improvement solutions whenever it is required
- Preparing Ops Monthly Performance Report submitted to CEO and CMA Terminals
- Preparing annual budget
- Preparing and implementing short, middle and long-term goals defined with the CEO
- Being involved in all development projects related to operations and IT
- Working closely with the all stakeholders to ensure high customer satisfaction
- Maintaining regular communications with all stakeholders & communities for satisfaction/need evaluation
- Negotiating agreements & contracts with suppliers & customers including TSA & SLA
- Evaluating providers/terminal performance and deliverables on regular basis
- Developing a staff management system to ensure staff happiness, performance analysis, carrier path, safety and competences.
- Implementing a permanent training program for the workforce to develop polyvalence, maintain & improve skills, train as per latest best practice in force in the terminal and CMAT standards
- Being in close relationship with all labor unions
You should have proven experience in similar type of operating model with strong leadership, analytic and solving issues capacity
Ideally the candidate should have:
- University degree in logistics, maritime and port or a marine qualification (Master)
- Minimum 10 to 15 years in operations management roles in modern STS/RTG container terminals with at least 5 as COO (planning, execution, COO).
- At least one recent experience in container terminal setup
- Good knowledge of several worldwide recognized TOS and a confirmed experience in CT in Africa
Skills & knowhows:
- Project management
- In-depth knowledges about container terminal operations
- communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Building budget, contract negotiation
- Negotiation with public authorities and unions
- Conflict resolution an ability to work in a challenging environment
- Continuous process improvement methodology
- Fluent in English (compulsory)
See More Jobs In Nigeria
Lekki Peninsula, Lagos, Nigeria