Engineering Controls Manager
Provide support through coordination of project data and project controls for various projects and estimating management utilizing SAP. Performs a variety of tasks that have a wide degree of creativity and latitude. Efforts are to provide support for project estimation process, production management and contracting. Responsible for managing and overseeing project costs for Fleet Engineering projects as assigned. Provides support for project planning, scheduling, cost estimating, vessel maintenance system development and administration, monitoring, and quality review. Administers project controls within parameters specified by bid documents and internal requirements. Recommends engineering policies and procedures to mitigate risk. Provides guidance and consultation for project managers. Performs a variety of tasks in support of assigned projects.
- Define project requirements, including performance, cost and schedule objectives within bid package(s).
- Determine requirements of resources from other departments, customer, vendors, etc., on project objectives.
- Assists Fleet Engineers with creation, administration and tracking of vessel maintenance routines and work order closure.
- Assists Fleet Engineers with development and administration of repair specifications and contract management.
- Responsible for identifying cost and availability of required equipment, materials, and subcontractors from bid documents.
- Responsible for identifying, developing and providing daily, weekly and monthly project progress reports, both internal and external with respect to project material control requirements.
- Responsible for developing project material control structure and ensure project personnel are correctly trained and utilizing the structure.
- Carries out (or supervises) required competitive bidding of project materials and verifies compliance with contact mandates such as "Buy American" requirements.
- Performs technical evaluations of alternative materials, equipment and suppliers with respect to project requirements.
- Support project management team with required service and material tracking reports.
Staffing (and sub-contracting)
- Evaluates technical and management proposals for work accomplishment.
- Helps negotiate agreements with subcontractors, vendors, etc., for work specified on projects.
- Communicates (written, verbal, telephone) with others involved.
- Provides vessel maintenance system oversight and notifies the Director, Fleet Engineering of overdue tasks and overall program development
- Recommends means and methods to improve project profit profitability.
- Identifies and solves problems as required.
- Measures material and service provider performance and communicates results to others.
- Responsible for tracking material control policies, compliance and reporting.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and providing project profitability reports.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct of Staff
- Supports team member project goals and objectives. Provides support for company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Effectively communicates project service and material documentation requirements and objectives.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Responsible for supporting project personnel in coordinating purchasing activities.
- Supports business development team on developing customer proposals on as needed and as available basis.
- Supports financial team in developing monthly and annual budget and forecast activities outside of current assignment.
- The English language adequate for effective spoken, written, and phone communication.
- Standard accounting methods, project scheduling, system safety and reliability, shipyard safety requirements.
- Ship and barge operation, construction, maintenance and repair.
- Supply chain logistics, maritime shipping industry
- Excellent communication and human relation skills necessary in dealing with employees, subcontractors, vendors, and customers.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive coherent written technical reports.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an often-changing environment.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain a sense of humor during times of stress.
- Ability to use a personal computer for word-processing, spreadsheets, SAP, and scheduling software (P6 or MS Project).
- Ability to give attention to detail, to make decisions, and to solve problems (sometimes involving complex technical or management issues).
This position requires a Bachelor's degree and four years of relevant experience in the marine, construction or logistics industry including some project management or relevant experience. A degree in accounting, business, logistics or construction management is highly desirable.