QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Three (3) to seven (7) years of shipyard design and construction experience or equivalent experience.
- Candidates with equivalent experience as a Cognizant Engineer over one or more systems may also be considered.
- Two (2) years’ Engineering experience at Austal USA will be considered in lieu of shipyard design and construction experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of scheduling and an ability to adhere to strict deadlines
- Experienced in interacting with Production, multiple design teams from several companies, customer representatives and equipment manufacturers.
- Computer literate and familiar with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
- Working knowledge of ship and propulsion systems
- Working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.)
- Experience in the construction of high speed aluminum vessels
- Knowledge of modular construction methods
- Knowledge in design and construction of US Navy vessels
- Knowledge of shock design
- Knowledge of FEA methods
- Knowledge of composite shafting
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture
- Working knowledge of vessel structural design
- Working knowledge of vessel trim & stability calculations
All candidates must meet Austal USA’s basic employment eligibility guidelines:
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance may be required if deemed necessary in the scope of your position responsibilities
- 18 years or older at time of application
- Able to provide proof of US Person status (permanent resident or citizen)
- No felony convictions of theft/deception or violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
- No felony convictions of drug crimes within three years from disposition date
- Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
- Computer – MS Office, AutoCAD
- May lead and direct the work of Engineers I, Designers and Draftspersons
- May determine technical adequacy of drawings and calculations
- May provide input to evaluations of Engineers I, Designers and Draftspersons
LIAISES WITH: Engineers, Production Personnel, Customer, Regulatory Bodies, Program Management and Equipment Suppliers