This role can be based in Houston, TX or Chicago, IL
Key Accountabilities1.Support the Naval Architecture manager with the upkeep of policies, procedures, inspection & maintenance routines, databases and HECSALV models; bring together and improve structural and coatings corporate knowledge (e.g. TKD's, MIIT incident investigation reports, GIS, VISS etc.).
- Lead team support to the bp Group and External Partners with relevant floating system and marine activities, including participation in emergency response drills.
- Lead structural and coatings support to the T&S operated fleet by assisting with the planning, budgeting and execution of maintenance, modifications, surveys and technical investigations. Whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant procedures and standards.
- Lead subject area support to T&S new build projects and site construction teams. Provide guidance to the T&S Technical Audit of new build shipyards, block construction yards and potential drydocking facilities.
- Lead structural reviews and inspections of third-party vessels in support of the Vetting & Clearance team and bp Group. Uphold and develop bp structural policies, Condition Assessment Program (CAP), industry standards & guidelines and engineering best practice.
- Maintain and develop relationships with Classification Societies, CAP providers, 3rd party industry bodies, professional bodies and bp’s internal engineering bodies. Develop relationships and competency assess agency workers to maintain a sufficient pool of contractors and surveyors.
- Lead training and mentoring support for less experience naval architects, graduates and interns.
- Support the Review and assess technologies for their suitability to T&S operations and potential incorporation into current or new build vessels, identifying technology advances and equipment required for regulatory compliance.
- Lead the development and execution of technical studies and discipline specific engineering activities (including structure, stability and salvage, buckling and fatigue, appendages, cavitation, sloshing, fluid dynamics, performance monitoring and incident investigation) for the T&S operated fleet and in support of bp Group.
- Promote, support and deliver projects and activities to enable T&S fleet progress towards Net Zero operation.
- Degree in Naval Architecture – BEng, Meng, MSc
- Member of professional body, e.g. RINA, SNAME
Essential Experience /Job Requirements
- Marine technical experience in shipping or ship construction/repair yards
- Shipyard, Class or consultancy experience, e.g. Construction Site Personnel, Classification Society Surveyor
- Structural Assessments: Purpose; Newbuild Reviews; Damage Reviews; CAP Reviews; Time Charter Reviews; Conversions; Ship Inspections
- Vessel inspections/Company Assessments (BPCA) : Purpose; Physical assessment of vessels from a structural perspective, assisting as required with BPCA
- Excellent communications skills and an ability to work in a multi-cultural business environment
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent and member of professional body, e.g. RINA, SNAME
- Experience of a variety of offshore projects / assets, as well as a sound technical knowledge of marine vessel structures and systems
- Wider commercial experience gained on major projects
Houston, TX or Chicago, IL