The Second Engineer has the following specific responsibilities:
• Perform engineer room watch-keeping duties when required.
• Maintenance of all machineries on deck and engine room in his / her area of responsibility as
required by the PMS and as directed by Chief Engineer.
• Management of stores, spares, lube oils and chemicals including monitoring the consumption,
• Ensure that his / her individual work and rest hour planning is done on an ongoing basis and
rest hour requirements are complied with to avoid fatigue.
• Motivation of engineers and crew, and creation of a safe working environment on board
including optimal utilization of resources allocated.
• Using the least hazardous chemicals and ensuring that chemicals are used in a safe and
• Issuing appropriate orders and instructions in a clear and simple manner.
• Understand the importance of briefing and debriefing to ensure efficient teamwork.
• Training of supervised personnel which includes:
2. Health and safety.
3. Environmental protection.
4. Use of manuals and procedures.
5. Proper use of tools and equipment.
6. Standard maintenance and operating practices.
• Develop the skills and confidence of the more junior members of the team.
• Duties of Environmental officer as required by ISO 14001 standards including development of
objectives and targets, training of other officers and ratings, and record keeping.
• Maintaining order and cleanliness in the engine room.
• To instruct and supervise on the vessel in the use of safety, environmental protection, fire
fighting, first aid and lifesaving equipment.
• Preparing and monitoring work plans for other engineers and engine ratings. Periodically
monitor the work / rest hour planning for all engineers and engine ratings to ensure that the
rest hour requirements are being complied with.
• Propose to the Chief Engineer necessary training requirements concerning engineers and crew.
• Examine within the scope of responsibility overtime forms prepared by engineers and ratings.