The candidate will be responsible for research and development activities to ensure appropriate development of new services, development and updating of the classification rules for ships and offshore vessels for International Register of Shipping.
· Coordination of experience gained through design appraisal, plan approval of ships / offshore vessels and related surveys, inspections, audits carried out;
· Should be familiar with maritime regulations developed by international organizations IMO , ILO and standards developed by as IACS, ISO, IEC, AWS, NACE, etc., Special attentions to monitor the new international regulations from IMO and their applicable inclusion into IRS rules;
· The development of new rules for classification of steel vessels as per Goal Based Ship construction standards ( GBS) of IMO for Bulk Carriers and Oil Tankers and coordinate to get approval by IMO. The task may include handling of audit process by IMO auditors for Classification Rules approval as per IMO Circular
· Updating and maintain the classification rules and related guidance for use of all technical departments and surveyors and other stakeholders who are involved in ship building, modifications or conversions.
· The publication of incidents and statistical analysis of trends related to losses and damages within the industries, Development of new products and services for IRS or affiliates
· Monitor various projects related to rule development or engineering or other services assigned to R&D and act as Project Manager
· Supervise other staff in Project team / R&D and monitor various project progress as required.
· Coordinate with Technical Appraisal Department or other departments related to classification / statutory services in compliance with IRS Classification Rules, IMO regulations and Flag administration, providing up to date information and making sure that surveyors, ship-owners/ship managers are meeting the requirements and new amendments.
· Must hold at least Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s in Naval Architecture, Ship Building or Mechanical Engineering, Marine Engineering, or any related areas.
· Must have about 10 years’ experience in plan appraisal or Design review or Research / Development department of any major class society or similar positions
· Should be familiar with the Ship Classification Rules, IMO Codes/ conventions such as SOLAS, MARPOL, and other maritime technical codes.
· Shall be familiar with use of software for structure analysis, Finite Element Analysis and other design related matters preferably ANSYS, Maestro, Nastran, AUTOHYDRO, AUTOCAD, General Hydrostatics-GHS, etc.
· Knowledge in the maritime industry and Ship classification, with thorough understanding of implementation of maritime Conventions and regulations.
· Must have strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills in English.