Under a direct supervisor, performs work involving conventional surveying practices.
Primary function is to develop the ability to effectively examine and report on vessels and other marine structures during and after construction relative to compliance with the applicable requirements for maintaining the vessel in Classification with ABS and meeting associated statutory and special service requirements related to Safety of Life at Sea, Loadline, Tonnage, Cargo Gear and Pollution Prevention Certification.
Develop the skills necessary for the administration of office procedures and monitoring of business performance at an assigned port.
Through broader and more technically challenging work assignments, individual develop a thorough understanding of field operations, policies, methods, and procedures.
What You Will Do:
With the assistance and guidance of an experienced ABS Surveyor:
- Acts as a professional specialist for the organization in the application of related rules, regulations, requirements, concepts, principles, and processes.
- Performs routine surveys on classed vessels, platforms, or other marine structures and at manufacturers for classification and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Prepares technically accurate and timely reports of inspections and surveys performed.
- Engages in contact with clients to resolve problems within area of expertise.
- Maintains survey files in an orderly and up-to-date manner in area of responsibility.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of ABS Rules, Guides, statutory regulations, and related instructions, as well as the ABS Employee Safety Policy.
- Ability to read engineering plans and have a basic understanding of shipbuilding practices and vessel operations.
- Ability to perform surveys in the prescribed format.
- Knowledge of computer programs or software packages related to job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of related technical interfaces required for group project work.
- Knowledge of ships' engineering systems and machinery.
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, pertinent information relative to assigned area of technical expertise.
- Ability to analyze problems and propose solutions.
- Responsiveness to customers.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Become familiar with the ABS Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
Education & Experience:
Minimum years of Experience:
An entry level position for new graduates and/or those candidates with less than five (5) years’ experience in an applicable industry
Required/Preferred Education Requirements:
- Qualifications from a tertiary institution within a relevant field of engineering or physical science (minimum two (2) years program); or
- Qualifications from a marine or nautical institution and relevant seagoing experience as a certificated ship officer, and
- Proficiency in the English language commensurate with the scope of statutory certification and services and, before assignment, with their future work.
Required/Preferred Professional Requirements:
Appropriate certification and/or licenses in area of specialization as may be required.