Monitors and controls the safe and cost efficient technical operation of all assigned vessels using the available resources, within the defined parameters of cost, commercial viability and operational excellence in line with Owners expectations. Ensure environmental compliance policies are upheld.
Support SMC’s strategic goals
- Reviews and is up-to-date with the developments in the maritime industry, in order to identify and propose relevant improvements and advanced technical solutions to owner, Fleet Manager/Director. Assists in the monitoring of the safe and efficient operation of the SMC Technical & marine operations. Proactively uses the company developed software systems and IT platforms
Ship technical support
- Understands the contractual agreements with customers to be able to deliver the same with regards to the ship management services for each assigned vessel, in a safe and cost efficient manner.
- Monitors the effective operation of the equipment and machineries of the assigned vessels, identifying potential discrepancies from operational standards and proposes and/or implements solutions that will enhance the efficiency, performance and safety of the vessels.
- Participates in the development of the maintenance and repairs plan for the assigned vessels and monitors its accurate execution in order to identify compliance of operations according to time schedule, quality of deliverables and budget.
- Projects the requirements in maintenance and repairs activities, spare parts and technical training of the assigned vessels in order to provide valuable information for the development of the budget and maintenance plan of the vessels. Upon approval, follows-up its accurate execution, identifying, reporting and providing solutions in potential discrepancies.
- Monitors all vessels trading certificates to ensure compliance with existing maritime legislation, safety regulations and operational standard requirements of all regulatory bodies.
- Oversees and monitors the overall technical operation of the assigned vessels, ensures the timely and accurate completion of dry-docking and of other relevant shipboard maintenance and repair activities, in order to support the operational effectiveness of vessels and increase customer’s satisfaction and commitment.
Execution of technical inspections / internal audits
- Manages all vessel visits, audits and inspections effectively right from planning to implementation and follow up with the aim of supporting and enhancing the operational efficiency of the fleet. Ensures that vessel visit reports are made timely, are accurate and submitted to the owner, Fleet Director and/or MD to allow a detailed analysis of the broad and specific issues affecting vessel operations and the plan for proposed corrective actions.
- Liaises with LPSQ department in order to obtain the necessary information that will secure the alignment of all technical requirements and standards of the fleet assigned with Company’s LPSQ policy as well as with relevant legislation, contributing towards environmental protection and enhancement of company’s image. Liaises also with the FP Manager on issues of concern or potential loss caused by human factors, such as inadequate attitude, leadership or situational awareness.
Execution of maintenance activities
- Monitors the accurate, timely and qualitative execution of all maintenance and repairs activities, in cooperation with the Onboard Management Team, reviewing the compliance of deliverables from subcontractors with agreements and requirements, in order to ensure optimum, efficient and safe operation of each assigned vessel.
- Monitors and assesses the requisition requests received from the vessels. The approved requisition requests are processed by the Central Purchasing Team or the Technical Officers, as appropriate, for obtaining quotations. Evaluates the quotations/bids received and gives the approval to proceed with the placing of the order and ensures the timely supply of all required spare parts & stores to vessels. Is responsible to ensure that prior approving Purchase Orders, the cash position of the vessel/owner is reviewed and the status permits the placing of the Purchase Order. Obtains the Fleet Managers approval for orders that need such approval as per guidelines from the CFO Manual. Ensures that the quality, quantity and compliance matrix of the provided spares, stores/consumables is according to established standards as laid out in BSM’s Procurement Procedures.
Effective operation of the Department
- Reviews, potential improvements and proposals of solutions on technical issues identified from both on board and shore based teams, to resolve the same swiftly and efficiently.
- Ensures that all reporting requirements involving incidents, technical developments, maintenance activities, repair progress, current operational status, docking, budget spend pattern etc. are executed timely and are qualitative in nature.
Management of resources
- Supports the accurate execution of department’s operational and administration budget, identifies and reports cost saving opportunities and proposes corrective actions in case of deviations, in order to ensure compliance with set targets.
- Reviews the performance appraisals developed for senior officers onboard, provides feedback and proposes amendments so as to safeguard the fair evaluation and support their proper career development.
- Coordinates, coaches and motivates his team, through the appropriate training, development, management of performance and salary progression to ensure that staff have the appropriate knowledge, skills and support that will help them perform effectively and contribute to the achievement of the department’s desired short and longterm objectives
- Ensures implementation of the OHSE management system on board with regards to compliance, encouraging feedback, providing resources, eliminating non-conformities, participating in root cause investigations etc.